Agrashrawaka Viharaya

Mahabodhi Agrashrawaka Maha Viharaya is regarded as the temple which houses the holy relics of Maha Sariputta, the first (right) Chief disciple of the Lord Buddha and foremost in Wisdom and Maha Mogallana, the second (left) Chief disciple of the Lord Buddha and the foremost in supernormal powers.

The Holy Relics of Agrashrawaka Viharaya

The holy relics of Maha Sariputta and  Maha Mogallana were housed in the stupa of Sanchi India. In 1851, they were discovered by archaeologist, General Alexander Cunningham and taken to England.
 
The holy relics were then housed at the Albert Museum in England. There had been no proper services for the holy relics, therefore, all buddhist countries requested the holy relics. On receiving such a request, the holy relics had been divided into three and given to India, Burma and Sri Lanka.
 
Srimath Angarika Dharmapala played a significant role and immense dedication to receive the holy relics. As a respect to Srimath Angarika Dharmapala, the holy relics had been given to Mahabodhi Society.
 
Mahabodhi Agrashrawaka Maha Viharaya was constructed to house the holy relics of Maha Sariputta and  Maha Mogallana.